FB  TWITTER  INSTAGRAM HOME ABOUT FRESH VIBES COVERS REMIXED YOUTUBE FRIDAY

Friday, October 11, 2013

True Life: Texas Turned Me Into A Record Junkie

  Here's a little insight into where I spent most of my time while I lived in Texas. Visiting record stores is probably one of my favorite things to do when I have a day/night off. 
Wait a minute let me rephrase that, it IS my favorite thing to do. It's always best when I have an entire day to kill and my favorite pair of headphones (VMODA Crossfade LP) by my side. In addition to checking out record stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, I had the pleasure of visiting the amazing Waterloo Records, an independent record store situated in Austin, Texas. There's honestly nothing better then digging through rows & rows of vinyl from artists you love and appreciate. 
Location: 2955 Texas 360, Grand Prairie, Texas 75052
This was the first record store I visited in what felt like ages. I was recommended to it by a fellow co-worker who also suggested that I check out the other record shops featured in this post! Thanks Vic! :) 
When they say: 
"We are the largest record stores in the state of Texas with over 11,000 square feet of over 250,000 CDs, Tapes, LPs, and 45's. We've served the Dallas/Fort Worth area for over 26 years and 
counting." They aren't lying! This place is incredible!

I've never been in an atmosphere where I was literally surrounded by records/cds/dvds from wall to wall & floor to ceiling. It didn't take long until I found myself hanging out on the upside-down milk crates.  
First purchase: Japandroids Celebration Rock & Ladyhawke's 2008 self-titled debut. Some of my favorite finds include: Daughter's first 2 EP's as well as their debut release If You Leave. ALSO, finding Turn On The Bright Lights: The 10th Anniversary Edition by Interpol was a very special moment for me. That album rules, period.
Most Recent Purchase: Settle by Disclosure which is without a doubt one of the best albums of 2013. 
Also, I picked up Future Islands' On The Water - an oldie but a genuine goodie. 
Forever Young Records also made it onto Buzzfeed's "27 Breathtaking Record Stores You Have To Shop At Before You Die."
Location: 1808 Greenville Ave, Dallas, Texas 75206
This is the farthest of the three stores from where I lived, so unfortunately I've only visited Good Records twice. I find this record store to be the most organized and "clean" of the three although it is rather small. With that said, this quality that this store carries is borderline perfect. If you can visit Good Records, and only leave with one record - then good for you. 
First purchase(s): I Love You by Amanda Blank & Apologies to the Queen Mary by Wolf Parade
Most recent purchase: Olympia by Austra & Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths


Location: 9522 Camp Bowie West, Fort Worth, Texas 76116
Last, but not least - this is where I spent the majority of my first ever "Record Store Day" at. It's a rather small building with low ceilings located in the middle of nowhere, but having a staff who are willing to help locate an item makes the distance absolutely worth it.
First purchase: Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse & The Satanic Satanist by Portugal. The Man
Most Recent Purchase: This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem 



No comments:

Post a Comment